Forgive Yourself and Move On
Self-forgiveness can be just as hard, if not harder, than forgiving others. However, there is hope. You can forgive yourself for past mistakes and move forward. The following steps will help you start getting there.
- Understand that you did the best you could. You knew only what you knew at the time. Don’t beat yourself up over the fact that you lacked knowledge. Everyone evolves. Well, most people evolve, and you are one of them.
- Journal it out. In other words, get rid of it. Don’t hold onto it any longer. I promise that if you write it out, you will start dealing with it. Write out every ounce of anger, frustration, and more.
- Make amends when necessary. If you must apologize to someone, do it. Apologize if you are sorry. Often, when you say you are sorry, you can equally help yourself. You know that you have done your part and it is over.
- Change the situation if you can. Is there any way you can fix the problem? Can you start to make it better? If so, take action. Put a plan in place to fix the issue.
- Talk to yourself properly. This can be hard if the situation hurts but do your best to speak to yourself kindly. Your best friend, whether you believe it or not, is you. You will be there when no one else is. You may feel like you have passed the time when it’s appropriate to talk about the problem with others…but guess what? You are there and you can forgive yourself each day.
- Look forward. This is so hard, I know, but believe that better days are coming. You can be better and stronger in the future, and I want you to let that encourage you. Remember all the prayers you prayed that were not answered and look back at those … RIGHT! Thank GOD you didn’t get some of what you asked for. This could be that situation and maybe you aren’t seeing it properly. Or maybe this was simply an opportunity to learn. If so, learn from it.
- Don’t let anyone or anything pull you backward. If people in your life bring it up, or if you bring it up, talk about it differently. Don’t go back that way. Don’t feel guilty, don’t feel bad; you’ve made peace with it. Stay in that peace as best you can.
- Turn on nightly meditation. I have a few go-to meditations for the night. One of yours could be getting yourself out of unforgiveness. Many things in your mind are at the subconscious level, so figure out a way to rewire your subconscious mind.
There’s so much more I can say on this topic but I really hope you heard me. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you made and the hurt within yourself. Walking around feeling guilty every day doesn’t make you a more spiritual or more feeling person. Release and let go. Love you, and I hope that you have an amazing day.
XO - Camille